Here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Band Program, Marching Band camp, Marching Band season and more. Plus some general tips to making the Band Experience good for all involved.
Please keep in mind that this website is for, and run by, band/color guard parents. It DOES NOT replace communication from the Band Director to the students.
DHS School Band Program
- Director of Bands: Ira Jenkins firstname.lastname@example.org
- Band Programs include Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, IB Music, Jazz Ensemble and other ensembles. Bands include students for all high school grades (exception of IB Music 11th and 12th).
- Performances: Three primary performances (Concert, Symphonic, and Wind) in Fall, Winter, and Spring plus a Holiday Performance
- Additional practices held in preparation after school, Director sets and communicates schedule
- Band students generally are required to wear all black attire for (non-marching) concerts and performances
- The Band Director communicates directly with your student. Ask your student for details about plans for practices, performances, expectations, games, travel, meals, uniform, etc.
- The DHS BPA posts information and dates on the Band Website (decaturband.org) and communicates through band parent emails. Registration on the website automatically registers parents/guardians for emails
- The Band Director uses an app called BAND to communicate rapid updates such as weather, meeting locations, pick up times, etc.
Decatur High School Band Parent Association (DHSBPA)
- Decatur High School Band Parent Association (DHSBPA): A 501(c)(3)non-profit parent volunteer organization. The mission of the DHSBPA is to support the Decatur High band program (musicians and color guard), including financial support to supplement funds from the City Schools of Decatur (CSD), and promote parental involvement in band activities. The overall goal is to provide an enriching band experience for all students who participate in the band which includes:
- Purchasing and repairing instruments
- Funding additional classroom and marching band program instruction
- Purchasing musical arrangements
- Organizing and running band camp
- Purchasing and maintaining the marching band uniforms
- Providing financial aid to students
- Information and dates are posted on the Band Website (decaturband.org)
- How to get involved with the DHSBPA: Click here for Volunteer opportunities or contact email@example.com
- Marching Band is an optional program available to all students in the School Band Program (Concert, Symphonic, and Wind Ensemble)
- Marching Band is co-curricular - it impacts your student’s grade in band like a practice record.
- Marching Band Rookie Camp week – held each spring, after school – required participation for students new to the marching band program
- There is a separate and complete packet of information about Marching Band Camp on the website under the Marching Band tab, information available at the end of Rookie Camp
- Marching Band Camp - generally the last two full weeks of July – participation is mandatory to march in the upcoming season
- Marching Band Camp registration fee and deposit will be announced after Rookie Camp
- Tips for marching band season readiness
- Have your student keep a pair of black sock in her/his school locker for band performances
- On away game performance (school) days send a non- perishable snack as well as a little money for a snack
- Arrival times back at school after a game can be late. Keep in mind the students have to get off the bus, turn in uniforms, put away instruments, flags, etc., and retrieve their belongings
- Be flexible - pick up times, competition ending times, etc. can change at the last minute
- Be sure someone can pick up your student before you make plans that can't be changed or interrupted
- Carpooling is great - check the online directory on the website for nearby band families and share the driving
- Friday, October 6
- Monday, October 9
- Tuesday, October 10
- Wednesday, October 11
- Monday, October 16
- Tuesday, October 17
- Wednesday, October 18